EXPLORE THE HISTORY

The history of the village of Kamieniec dates back to the fourteenth century. Learn about the captivating history of the village and Kamieniec Palace travelling back in time through the most important chapters of the past of the Kamieniec residence.

XIV century

THE SETTLEMENT OF KAMIENIEC HAS ITS ORIGINS IN THE ANCIENT PAST

The beginnings of settlement in Kamieniec date back to the first half of the fourteenth century. By the fifteenth century, the village had passed through the hands of the families Pannwitz and von Haugwitz from Piszkowice. In the next century, Kamieniec became part of the Korytów State Country, and at the end of the eighteenth century it had more than 200 inhabitants, including 10 cottagers, 30 gardeners and outworkers. Kamieniec reportedly was known at the time for its horse market. Merino sheep were also raised here.

year 1780

KAMIENIEC PALACE IS BUILT AT THE END OF THE EIGHTEENTH CENTURY

Count von Hartig, the then owner of Kamieniec, builds a small baroque palace. The building was built on a rectangular plan with projections protruding towards the north and south and covered with a mansard roof. On the southern side of the palace was a small decorative and working garden surrounded by a stone wall.

year 1782

ONE OF THE LONGEST RULING FAMILIES IN KAMIENIEC WAS THE VON MUTIUS FAMILY

Kamieniec Palace passes into the hands of the von Mutius family, on whose initiative a limestone quarry and a kiln for its firing was established to the north of the palace. From 1830, the owner of the palace was pastor Karl Eduard Grandke. Perhaps it is his initials EG that were discovered on the cornerstone under the facade? After the pastor, the palace is inherited by his wife Constance Louise von Mobius. From 1861, the owner of the residence is in turn the family of the Counts von Ohlen und Adlerskron.

year 1881

THE PROPERTY IN KAMIENIEC BLOOMS DURING THE REIGN OF VON SEHERR-THOSS FAMILY

Kamieniec flourished during the reign of the von Seherr-Thoss family
after it was bought by Arthur von Seherr-Thoss of Dobromierz. He was looking for a family seat for himself and his new wife Clara. When he saw Kamieniec, he had no doubt: “Clara, it's beautiful! We’re staying” - he said to his wife and then paid for the palace. Two years later he commissioned its reconstruction and the modernisation of the farm. The baroque palace was then enlarged by the northern, eclectic wing and the entrance was framed with a portal made of sandstone, topped with a heraldic cartouche. Arthur and Clara unfortunately did not have any children. After their death the property was divided between Arthur’s nephew Joachim and his two sons: Erwin and Friedrich Arthur.

Years 1883-1945

KAMIENIEC DEVELOPS UNINTERRUPTED UP TO THE FIRST HALF OF THE TWENTIETH CENTURY

The Baroque vegetable and decorative garden becomes a landscaped garden. The owners of the palace take good care of it, constantly improve it and make it their own private oasis. “Over the ground stretched colourful carpets of spring flowers, creating a wonderful combination of colours" wrote Andrea Margot v. Scherr-Thoss, the wife of Joachim. On the edge of the garden a tea pavilion is built. At the same time, fruits and cereal crops are grown in the farm and sold in nearby towns and spa resorts.

Years 1946-2009

THE POSTWAR YEARS ARE THE YEARS OF THE GREATEST DAMAGE FOR THE PALACE AND MANOR IN KAMIENIEC

The palace and its farm take on a residential and functional role, which takes a heavy toll. The buildings are not renovated, the rooms are divided into smaller spaces, and fertiliser is stored on the ground floor... In 2004, the last residents leave, though that does not mean an improvement in its fate. Vandals and thieves appear quickly, who remove the wall installations, leave rubbish, steal and destroy the fixtures and fittings and paint the walls with graffiti.

year 2009

"I AM AFRAID THAT WE WILL BUY IT", SAID THE FUTURE OWNER OF THE PALACE WHEN HE SAW IT FOR THE FIRST TIME.

The new owners of the palace begin to repair the ruined historical palace. But first the building, the old farm buildings and the palace garden are subject to specialist studies and grand construction designs.

year 2014

LONG YEARS OF PAINSTAKING RESTORATION AND CONSERVATION WORK ARE CROWNED BY GRANTING KAMIENIEC PALACE KAMIENIEC NEW LIFE

Repair and maintenance work in the palace nears completion, and the interior is returned to its former glory. Soon, on the basis of historical documentation and detailed analysis, a reconstruction and expansion plan for the palace garden is prepared. As a result, we manage to not only restore the historic garden, but also expand it with a southern and northern section on the former farmyard.